Baltimore Manual Labor School Seen from Shelbourne Road, MSS 1988-02-012.

A portion of the property on which UMBC is built previously was owned by the Baltimore Manual Labor School. Also known as the Farm School, it operated from 1839 to 1922 with the purpose of instructing and supporting poor or orphaned boys from Baltimore City. Support for the school came from wealthy Baltimoreans including Johns Hopkins and Gustav W. Lurman, Jr. Shown in the photograph is a Stabler family member in a carriage on the farm road from Maiden Choice Lane, now called Shelbourne Road.Baltimore Manual Labor School Collection, gelatin silver prints; black-and-white photographs, 8 x 10.