Hardware and Software
There are about 230 workstations in the Library distributed on floors 1-7. They have the same basic set of software installed as the campus OIT labs. No additional software can be downloaded or installed. Additional hardware and exceptions are noted below.
Please report problems to Library IT Services. We also welcome your comments and suggestions.
Public access PCs
- Located on floors 1-7: Find an available computer
- Floors 1-6 PCs have the faster booting Slim image.
- Floor 7 PCs have the full Lab image.
- VMware Horizon Client virtualization software
- CD-RW/DVD+/-R drives
- USB ports
- Linux Software (Only on the 7th Floor)
- 40 machines located on the 2nd floor of the library
- 30 machines located on the 7th floor of the library
- One FireWire 800 port; 7 watts
- Four USB 2.0 ports
- SDXC card slot
- Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- iMac Software
- VMware Horizon Client virtualization software is also available on the iMacs
Digital Media Lab
- 4 27" iMacs
- A variety of audio/video recording equipment
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Final Cut Pro
- Large format flatbed scanner
- More Information
- 5 PC scanners located in the Reference printing/copying area on the 1st floor
- 4 Mac scanners located on the 2nd floor near Serials
Wireless Access for Laptops
Wireless networking is available throughout the library. See Wireless Support for information on connecting to the wireless network.
Faculty, staff, and students can print from their laptops or mobile devices using mobileprint.umbc.edu. Just log in using your UMBC credentials. If you have trouble or need device-specific directions, please consult the Wireless Printing FAQs.
Assistive Technology - Room 121 and Room 122 and Room 455
Individuals who require assistive technology have access to rooms 121, 122, and 455. The rooms remain locked when not in use. Admission is available by requesting access at the Check Out Desk.
The computers require a UMBC account or a library guest account. Guest accounts are also available at the Reference Desk. Please notify staff at the Check Out Desk when you have finished.
The first floor has 1 computer table and 1 study table that are wheelchair accessible. Talk to Library staff for help locating or using these facilities.
Special Software and Equipment
In addition to the standard computer lab software, the AT workrooms have the following special assistive technology software and equipment:
- ZoomText 10.1 - This software offers both screen magnification and reading.
- Kurzweil 3000 - Allows for scanning, manipulating and reading of scanned documents.
- Jaws 17 - Another option for screen reading.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 - Automatically converts speech to text. Use with the attached headset.
- ScanSnap SV600 - Scans documents to the computer for editing and screen reading.
- Large Print Keyboard
- Telesensory VersiColor-XL-CCD Text Enlarger (Not Aavailable in Room 455)
Only in Room 121
- Humanware Desktop Electronic Magnifier - Magnifies physical documents.
- Read&Write Gold - Makes the web, documents and files more accessible for people with reading challenges.
- Desktop Printer
Only in Room 122
- Optelec Clearview+ Speech · Document magnifier with text-to-speech functionality.
- Desktop Printer
- WizCom ReadingPens (portable text-to-speech devices) are available for checkout at the Check Out Desk.