Special Collections and Reference have assembled several research guides about Maryland and Baltimore history:
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Glee Club collection, The Photography Collections, Collection 147
Baltimore Camera Club records, Collection 46
Barbara Young papers, Collection 5
Dorothy Howard papers, Collection 121
Ernest Kempe collection, Collection 25
F. Belle Devilbiss journal of school lessons, Collection 126
Ferdinand C. Latrobe papers, Collection 4
Harold A. McDougall papers, Collection 99
Henry Clay B. Norris diary, Collection 49
Hugh Bolton Jones letters, Collection 20
James Hall Bready collection, Collection 201
Jason Pate collection, Collection 123
John H. B. Latrobe letter, Collection 167
John Lofland manuscript, Collection 164
Joseph L. Arnold papers, Collection 111
Kathleen Skullney collection, Collection 37
Left Bank Jazz Society Inc. collection, Collection 312
Lynne Sachs papers, Collection 114
Margaret J. Bennett Home ledger, Collection 31
Maryland Folklife Program records, Collection 116
Maryland Traditions records, Collection 120
Marvin Mandel collection, Collection 47
Michael J. Geraghty manuscript, Collection 159
O'Donnell family papers, Collection 100
Ola Belle Reed collection, Collection 122
Perry Hall Improvement Association records, Collection 2
Philip M. Wagner papers, Collection 1
Stabler family papers, Collection 27
W. Edward Orser papers, University Archives, Collection 196
Special Collections maintains a growing Baltimore Sun archives which includes approximately 750,000 photographs, negatives, transperencies, and archival collections documenting the Sun's history dating to 1837. Learn more...
Beginning in 2013, the UMBC Special Collections department began a partnership with Maryland Traditions, the state folklife program that is a part of the Maryland State Arts Council. This growing collection area is one result of this partnership. Learn more...
The nucleus of this 3,000 volume collection was purchased from the estate of the late Edward G. Howard. Included are a great number of 18th and 19th century accounts of travel through Maryland which are described in a printed catalogue, Next Stop Baltimore. Numerous local histories are represented as well. Books are catalogued and appear in the catalogusmai with the location name Special Collections - Howard. Following the unexpected death of Professor Joseph Arnold, noted Baltimore historian, in 2004 the collection was renamed the Arnold Collection in his honor. Works added thereafter appear in the catalog with the location name Special Collections--Arnold.
Search tip: When searching the Library Catalog (catalogusmai), use the Named Collection menu and select Arnold/Howard (Maryland history) to limit your search.
New in 2015: "History of Baltimore: 1729-1920" by Dr. Joseph L. Arnold is now available through UMBC's Digital Collections, with chapter introductions by Dr. Elizabeth M. Nix.
Search for and browse all photographs in the Special Collections Search. Under "Content to search," check off the box next to Photos. Then enter your search terms. You can search by collection, creator (e.g. photographer), title, subjects, format, description, location, and accession number. Please use quotes for phrases. Use AND if you want both words. Ex: "Hine, Lewis" Ex: Robert AND Frank. If there is a digital version, your results will have a link to the digital image. Learn more...
Selected local photography collections
- Hughes Company Glass Negatives
- Hughes Company Cirkut Negatives Collection -  panoramic views - Baltimore and environs - Industrial parks - Military installations - City skylines - Company photographs - Other - 1916-1949
- Baltimore Sun photographs
- Baltimore Collection - Baltimore Fire - Baltimore Sesquicentennial - E.A. Poe memorabilia - Portraits, City scenes, miscellaneous - c.1850-1910
- Baltimore - "Orlinsky gift" - 200 [5 boxes] Lantern slides, glass plate negatives, stereo views [many with captions] - Portraits (Mayors of Baltimore) - Scenic views - City Improvements - Architecture - c.1890-1930
- Baltimore & Ohio Glee Club - Group portraits (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad personnel) - 1915-1965
- Baltimore News-American Collection - Prints and negatives from the newspaper archive [incomplete] - c.1920-1960's
- East Baltimore Documentary Photography Project
- Nationsbank Collection
- Chesapeake - "Images of the Chesapeake 1612-1984" copy prints from the exhibition - Sailing ships - Steamships - Aerial views - Portraits - 1612-1984
- Jack Engeman collection
- Horse Racing Collection - Exhibition prints from "Maryland Racing - To be the Best" - Racing history 1920-1930 - Pimlico - 1988
- Lavine Collection - David S. Lavine Archive - [36,000+]negatives and transparencies, [1,000+] contact prints and photographs - Scenic views - Maryland - c.1970-
- Maryland Photographs Collection - Maryland cities, towns, neighborhoods - Inidvidual and group portraits - Civic events - Historic sites - c.1870-1998
- Maryland Illustrative Photographers Association - Exhibition prints - Photographs of Maryland - Portraits - 1971
Historical and contemporary maps are available. Coverage of the Baltimore metro area and Maryland primarily, but national and international coverage is included. In 2000, the Library significantly increased its map holdings by adding over 15,000 USGS topographic 7.5 minute series (1:24,000) maps donated by the Department of Geography and Environmental Systems. The maps are housed with the Government Documents collection in the Lower Level.
Return to top